Call for an appointment today!  (501) 653-0111

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW

HOLIDAY PET HAZARDS

The holidays are full of all kinds of fun for you and your four-legged family member.  Christmas decorations, a tree in the house, wow!  Yummy food, you name it!  With all that fun comes some potential hazards for your pet, so make sure your pets enjoy the holiday with you safely.  Some of these hazards you may not have even known might be harmful to your baby.  Here are some tips for keeping your pets out of danger during the holiday season.

 

AVOID Hazardous Holiday Food Items That Could Cause Problems For Your Pet: 

(Remember, Dr. Scott and Dr. Laura say no people food ever, no matter how much they beg!  At the very least, they might gain weight or have some vomiting and diarrhea.  At the very worst, the food may cause pancreatitis, which can be fatal!) 

  • Alcoholic beverages
  • Chocolate (baker's, semi-sweet, milk chocolate)
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
  • Moldy or spoiled foods
  • Onions, onion powder
  • Fatty foods
  • Salt
  • Yeast dough

PLANT HAZARDS 

  • Lilies that may be found in holiday flower arrangements could be deadly to your cat. Many types of lily, such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer, and the Casa Blanca, can cause kidney failure in cats.
  • Poinsettias are generally over-rated in toxicity. If ingested, poinsettias can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea.
  • Mistletoe has the potential to cause cardiovascular problems. However, mistletoe ingestion most often causes gastrointestinal upset.
  • Holly ingestion could cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, and lethargy.

HAZARDS AROUND THE CHRISTMAS TREE

  • Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea, if ingested.
  • Electric cords- Avoid animal exposure to electric cords. If they were chewed, they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or hide electric cords, never let your pet chew on them.
  • Ribbons or tinsel can get caught up in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction.
  • Batteries contain corrosives. If ingested they can cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Glass ornaments can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract if ingested.
  • Potpourris are popular household fragrances commonly used during the holiday season. Pets are often exposed to liquid potpourri by direct ingestion from simmer pots or spills, or by rubbing against leaky bottles or simmer pots containing the potpourri, or from spilling the containers upon themselves. Oral exposures result following grooming. Exposure of pets to some types of liquid potpourris can result in severe oral, dermal, and ocular damage. Dry potpourri generally doesn't cause those issues, but there may be problems due to foreign body and (possibly) toxic plant ingestion.

MEDICATIONS

 

Keep all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs out of the reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers including ibuprofen and acetaminophen, cold medicines, anti-cancer, drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet pills are common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages. Remind holiday guests to store their medications safely as well.

Never give your animal any medications unless under the directions of a veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately.

 

OTHER WINTER HAZARDS

  • Antifreeze has a pleasant taste. Unfortunately, very small amounts can be lethal. As little as one teaspoon of antifreeze can be deadly to a cat; less than four teaspoons can be dangerous to a 10-pound dog. Thoroughly clean up any spills, store antifreeze in tightly closed containers and store in secured cabinets. Automotive products such as gasoline, oil and antifreeze should be stored in areas that are inaccessible to your pets. Propylene glycol is a safer form of antifreeze. Low Tox™ brand antifreeze contains propylene glycol and is recommended to use in pet households.
  • If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze, contact our office, one of the emergency clinics, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (1-888-4-ANI-HELP) right away!
  • Ice melting products can be irritating to skin and mouth. Depending on the actual ingredient of the ice melt and the quantity, signs of ingestion would include excessive drooling, depression, vomiting or even electrolyte imbalances.
  • Rat and mouse killers are used more commonly during colder weather. When using rat and mouse bait, place the products in areas that are inaccessible to your companion animals.

 

 

 

 

ANIMAL FAMILY PRACTICE VETERINARY HOSPITAL

800 WEST COMMERCE DR

BRYANT, AR 72022

(501) 653-0111


"Own your Findability" Get a complimentary Business Listing on YP Guides